Powered By Blogger

quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2010

Kiarostami, about love and the copy

It had been a long time I didn't go see any Iranian movies. Let me say I became an enthusiast in my early 20's, when I went to see "Through the Olive Trees" by Abbas Kiarostami, and got on my knees for its simplicity. It was not Kiarostami's first film, but certainly the one who made him famous in the West.

"Certified Copy" ("Copie Conforme", in Brazil) is his first film not made in Iran, and Juliette Binoche and William Shimell, an Opera singer, play the main roles. At first sight it is about the work of art, the originality and the value of the copy. But in fact it is about a galerist and an art critic who play a game about being in a long term relationship.

In an astonishing Toscana, it is a great exercise of how to draw pictures and sequences, but most of all I was touched by the dialogues. Being Kiarostami a director so simple in dealing with the words and with what was to be said on his iranian films- which does not mean that they were shallow, rather the complete opposite-  I did not know he was to go on this "new" direction, of western theorization about love, relationship about men and women and the value of art that he proposes.



Assuming the bad critics I heard about its pretensious dialogues scared me out, I must instead recommend it strongly because it is:

a) about the value of the copy of a work of art and what it represents. About not being so strict about the originality, since it is something in the lenses through we see (or think we should see) art.

b) a beautiful exercise of two people who never met playing a copy of something original.

c) man and woman at their best and worse sides and the way their awkwardness just changes field constantly.

d) we can come to live up to 100 years, but we will never be able to live love peacefully, because it is not the way it was meant to be. Because it is not about searching the ideal of the noblest of the feelings, it is about everyday life.

 

P.S. Kiarostami convinced Binoche to participate in the film by simply telling her this story really happened to him.Wouldn't you do the same?

Nenhum comentário: